Mushroom stacking involves the intentional blending of different non-psychoactive or medicinal mushrooms with your psilocybin microdose to enhance its effects. Stacking enthusiasts engage in this practice, seeking unique and enriched experiences by combining various medicinal mushroom varieties and sometimes other herbal allies.
Mushroom Stacking 101
Mushroom stacking involves taking other mushroom supplements with your psilocybin microdose to enhance its benefits. Some examples of common mushroom stacking combinations include:
- Golden Teacher Mushrooms and Lion’s Mane (our favourite stack here at Microdosify and what we use in our Calm, Focus, and Create blends)
- Psilocybin, Lion’s Mane Mushroom, and Niacin (also known as the Paul Stamets Stack)
- Magic Mushrooms, Cordyceps, Vitamin B12, as recommended by the founders of Microdosing Institute
- Psilocybin Mushrooms and Saffron, as recommended by Asha Sultana, the founder of Microdose Pro
History of Stacking Mushrooms
The history of stacking mushrooms is intertwined with diverse cultural practices and traditions across the globe. Mushrooms have held significance for centuries, serving purposes ranging from medicinal and culinary to spiritual. In traditional Chinese medicine, they were esteemed for the potential health benefits associated with longevity.
The Aztecs in Mesoamerica incorporated mushrooms, particularly those containing psilocybin, into religious ceremonies for their hallucinogenic properties. In European history, mushrooms found a place in folk medicine and haute cuisine. Over time, enthusiasts and researchers explored various consumption methods, giving rise to innovative techniques like “stacking.”
The practice of stacking mushrooms continues to evolve, merging traditional knowledge for recreational and therapeutic purposes.
Science behind Magic Mushroom Stacking
The science behind mushroom stacking is limited but growing. Enthusiasts believe that combining other substances, such as medicinal mushrooms and herbal supplements, with your psilocybin microdose has synergistic effects. This means that the effects of the substances, when combined, are greater than when taken separately.
In other words, mushroom stacking may give you more bang for your buck!
Due to limited research on stacking combinations, however, caution is urged as unpredictable outcomes may occur.
Further scientific exploration is essential to fully comprehend the benefits and risks associated with magic mushroom stacking.
How to Stack Shrooms
To stack mushrooms, it can be valuable to understand what benefits you want to achieve by combining other medicinal mushrooms with your psilocybin microdose. This can provide a strong guide for choosing which other mushrooms can be complementary to your microdosing practice.
In general, if you have worked with psilocybin microdosing before, and had no negative outcomes, stacking psilocybin mushrooms with other medicinal mushrooms is likely safe. Consider seeking the help of a physician or your doctor to understand if you should not consume any of the following medicinal mushrooms.
Magic Mushroom Stacking Examples
After determining what benefits you’d like to get out of your microdosing practice, you may consider stacking your psilocybin microdose with the following medicinal mushroom combinations:
Turkey Tail and Chaga Mushroom: Improves immunity
- Turkey Tail may help protect from infections.
- Chaga Mushrooms may strengthen the immune system due to its high antioxidant qualities.
Chaga and Reishi Mushroom: Improves the state of calmness
- Chaga is high in antioxidants and may help to decrease potential damage due to stress.
- Reishi mushroom is a shen tonic, meaning it soothes and nourishes the spirit.
Chaga and Cordyceps Mushroom: Boosts Energy
- Chaga mushroom enhances the uptake of glucose, maximizing energy pathways in the body.
- Cordyceps is thought to improve energy and the body’s ability to use oxygen efficiently.
Lion’s Mane and Reishi Mushroom: Improves Mental Focus and Cognition
- Lion’s Mane may improve memory and focus and reduce feelings of anxiety and irritability. Reishi can enhance cognitive and brain function and decrease fatigue.
Tremella and Reishi Mushroom: Improve Skin Health
- Tremella may help boost collagen and moisturize the skin.
- Reishi is known as the “fountain of youth” due to its purported ability to help reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
Turkey Tail and Lion’s Mane Mushroom: Improve Gut Health
- Turkey Tail functions as a prebiotic.
- Lion’s Mane may inhibit bad bacteria and combat inflammation in the gut.
Cordyceps and Reishi Mushroom: Strengthens and Protects Lungs
- Cordyceps benefits and protects the lungs.
- Reishi may improve oxygen utilization and, therefore, strengthen the lungs.
Chaga and Lion’s Mane Mushroom: Overall Mental and Physical Well-Being
- The main benefits of Chaga mushrooms include supporting healthy immune function, stress response, digestion, metabolism, and heart and skin health.
- Lion’s Mane is considered the ultimate brain- and mood-boosting cognitive mushroom. It can specifically aid memory, focus, productivity, and nerve cell growth.
Paul Stamets Stack
Paul Stamets Stack integrates Psilocybin, Lion’s Mane, and Niacin with the intention of supporting brain health, enhancing cognitive function, and improving focus. It was created by Paul Stamets, a prominent mycologist and proponent of medicinal mushrooms.
The schedule of the stamets stack includes four consecutive dosing days followed by three days of break.
You can learn more about the Stamets Stack in our Ultimate Microdosing Protocols Guide.
What are the potential benefits of mushroom stacking?
Mushroom stacking may provide diverse health benefits, including immune system support, boosted energy, better skin health, supporting mental health conditions, improved overall health and well-being due to the distinct properties of various medicinal mushrooms.
What are the risks of shroom stacking?
The risks of shroom stacking involve possible negative reactions, unpredictable outcomes,
The scientific rationale behind stacking psychedelic mushrooms lies in the diverse array of bioactive compounds present in different mushrooms, each contributing unique therapeutic properties.
Our team’s favorite stack incorporates the mind-opening power of Golden Teacher Mushrooms with Lion’s Mane mushrooms, considered to be the ultimate brain-boosting mushroom. You can try our favourite mushroom stack in one of our signature blends:
- Find inner peace with Calm
- Achieve peak cognitive performance with Focus
- Unleash your inspiration with Create
- Adults who microdose psychedelics report health-related motivations and lower levels of anxiety and depression compared to non-microdosers by (2021) J. M. Rootman, P. Kryskow, K. Harvey, P. Stamets, E. Santos-Brault, K. P. C. Kuypers, V. Polito, F. Bourzat, & Z. Walsh Scientific Reports. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-01811-4
- Stamets Stack: Unveiling the Potential of Psychedelic Microdosing” by (2024) C. Fryer Medical Advocacy and Outreach. https://maoi.org/health/stamets-stack/